Saturday, June 26, 2010

Are apple seeds poisonous?

My friend Mary sent me a concerned email regarding the toxicity of apple seeds.  I wasn't too worried about it.  I mean, my centrifugal juicer boasts a wide opening for the sole purpose of juicing whole fruits.  But if someone tells me I might be drinking poison, well I would be a fool not to do a little research. 

Hmmm...Apple seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides.  Apparently, you can off yourself by consuming a large bowl of crushed apple seeds, and even a few seeds can poison a toddler or your pet - good to know. 

I don't think I am consuming enough to poison myself, but since I am juicing daily I think I will be on the safe side and core my apples from now on.  Thanks Mary for looking out for me.  It sure is nice to have friends that keep you from inadvertently poisoning yourself!

Here are a couple of sites with information on the toxicity of apple seeds.

www.Juicing-for-health.com


www.whfoods.com


photo courtesy of and available for purchase from ::
www. jessicaroseart.etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. I recently learned the same thing about loquat seeds - and that it is pretty much true for all fruit seeds, peaches, plums (the almondy thing in the center of the hard part) etc. Stay away from them. It's best not even to swallow whole ones, though they most probably just go down and all the way out without causing any problems in between.

    ReplyDelete